Below you will find information about parenting courses, resources and befriending services:
Parenting Befriending Service
A bespoke parenting befriending service for parents / carers of children and young people aged 0-16 year who needs a space to talk and think through the ways that they are coping in the circumstances and practical suggestions to manage challenges such as their young person’s behaviour, anxiety and worries, family relationship challenges and a young person’s screen time.
- Befrienders are either family worker professionals or Newham Parent Peer Facilitators
- 30 - 60 min’s session per week
- 1 - 8 weeks with a clear transition process put in place for when the contact ends.
- Group sessions – will be developed where this would be helpful and appropriate.
- Virtual Coffee Mornings- Early Years / Primary and Secondary.
- Signposting and referrals to other support and services as and when appropriate.
If you would like to refer a family for the parenting befriending offer please email: BSILFamilySupport@newham.gov.uk.
Newham Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service
In response to the COVID 19 situation CAMHS are currently offering workshops online if you or your child would like advice and support to improve mental health and wellbeing. If you have any questions about the workshops you can contact CAMHS on 020 8430 9000.
There are also videos on Youtube to support Mindfulness and reduce anxiety
Online Pop-Up CAMHS
For on the spot support, help and consultation for young people and families who live in Newham or have a Newham GP.
Online Pop-Up CAMHS will be led by friendly mental health clinicians at Newham CAMHS who look forward to meeting you and answering any questions you may have.
Feel free to sign up for a slot to receive support, help, and consultation about any mental health queries. Families and young people will be seen virtually during their designated timeslot. Before your session, you will be sent a link for a free video call with a clinician.
You can register on Eventbrite for any of the available 40 minute time slots between 12 and 3pm. This service is for families and young people who are not currently getting a service from Newham CAMHS.
For tips, advice and where to get support for your child's mental health during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic
Follow the link below to visit the Young Minds support page for parents:
Parent Trapped Podcast
- Weird and hilarious parenting hacks from Hillary Frank
- Serious how-tos for managing kids' anxiety from Dr. Dave Anderson
- Imaginative ways to foster kids' creativity at home from Julie Andrews
- Top picks on family movies and books for kids from actors, authors, and experts
… and lots more!Click here to start listening.
The stories, recommendations, and tips in each episode are so helpful as you settle into the "new normal" this summer.