Careers Programme Information
St Angela’s Ursuline School employs an experienced and professionally qualified Careers Adviser (Post Grad QCG) 2.5 days per week to provide students with Careers advice and guidance.
In addition we use '15 Billion Careers Provider' for an additional Careers Adviser for 1 day per week. Careers activities are also delivered by teachers through our PSHE programme. (All students in Key Stage 3, 4 and 5 have 1 hour of PSHE timetabled every week.) Subject departments also organise careers talks and trips with employers and universities.
|St Angela's School Career's Leader||St Angela's School Careers Advisor|
Deputy Head Teacher
School Careers Adviser
Tel: 0208 472 6022
Tel: 0208 472 6022
Examples of Careers Programmes undertaken by our students:
Key Stage 3
- Careers Assemblies in Year 8 + 9 Weekly
- Year 9 Wednesday Lunchtime Careers Drop In Clinics Spring Term with School Careers Adviser
- Year 9 Careers Guidance appointments with 15 Billion Careers Adviser
- PSHE Intro to online careers exploration packages KUDOS + e Clips. Also STEPS careers education booklets.
- Series of Assembly Subject Department “Options” Presentations – Year 9 Spring term
- Year 9 Options Pathways Evening Spring Term
- Industry Careers talks + visits organised via links with Newham Borough CEIAG Network
- STEM link to TFL (Transport for London) Inspire Engineering Day
Key Stage 4
- Year 10s and 11s Lunchtime Careers Drop In Clinics (held on Wednesdays) with the School Careers Adviser
- Year 10 Careers Guidance appointments with School Careers Adviser + 15 Billion Careers Adviser
- Post 16 Options Talks (comparing A level, BTEC + Apprenticeship Pathways) for all Year 11s with the School Careers Adviser
- Year 11 Careers Guidance appointments + follow up appointments with the School Careers Adviser + 15 Billion Careers Adviser
- SEO Scholars Advance Careers Programme – project for G+T Year 10s with insight days to leading city firms and organisations such as Freshfields, Royal Academy of Engineering and visits to Oxford and Cambridge Universities
- Year 11s Access to Annual Skills for London Excel Careers Exhibition
- Industry Careers talks and visits organised via links with Newham Borough CEIAG Network, The Brokerage City Link, STEMNET, BLD (Black Lawyers Directory) and Subject Department link
Key Stage 5
- Year 12 and 13s Lunchtime Careers Drop In Clinics (held on Thursdays) and Careers Guidance appointments with School Careers Adviser
- Visits organised to leading City Employers and Careers Events
- 6th Form Summer enrichment programme of university visits, taster days and subject Master Classes
- NAS National Apprenticeship Service – Assembly Presentation
Examples of Careers Mentoring Projects
- CMN Creative Industries Mentoring Project - links Year 12s account and brand managers and creatives from marketing and advertising agencies
- “I can you can too” mentoring project. Year 12s attending 5 or 6 employability workshops at EY leading financial Services employer
- The Brokerage City Link – Link us to Working in the City Days with major city companies + 1 to 1 mock interviews for 6th formers
- Bart NHS Health Trust East London Careers Project - clinical hospital work experience placements for Year 12 + 13s
- Realising Opportunities Russell Group Universities Project- links our Year 12s with undergraduate online mentors studying subjects they aspire to at 14 Russell Group Universities Pupils can access information about Careers Programme
- Activities via Careers Adviser Menu of Services Assemblies, Form Tutors, weekly
- Careers Drop In Clinics and regular School email updates
Parents and Employers please contact:
St Angela's School Careers Advisor
Chris Jarvis - email@example.com
Measuring and assessing the impact of our school careers programme on pupils
- Student Careers Guidance Feedback questionnaires
- Student feedback form mentoring projects + Careers Visits
- Record numbers of students on Mentoring + Work Experience Projects
- Record of numbers seen for careers guidance appointments and Drop In Record Careers Visits undertaken
- KS5 - Routes to Success + ULAS log Careers Adviser IAG reports for KS3 , 4 + 5
Parents Guide To National Careers Week
Please click on the link below to view and download a PDF Parents Guide to National Careers Week:
It has been produced by The Parents Guide To organisation - and includes useful careers information - especially on apprenticeships and vocational pathways after GCSEs or sixth form. There is also good information on the value of virtual work experience and how to speak to your daughter or son about their future.
There are links included to the Govt website on apprenticeships and to Speakers For Schools virtual work experience placements where our students in year 11, 12 and 13 can apply for work experience with major employers and organisations.
St Angela's is signed up to the Speakersforschools Experience Programme; Click here to register and look at work experience opportunities and events.
Your Daughter’s Future - a new resource on employability and aspiration for parents of young women in key stage 3 & 4
Examples of Work Experience
Willis Towers and Watson
Successful Work Experience for 33 of our St Angela’s students with world leading insurance company Willis Towers and Watson
During October half term 33 St Angela’s students completed an exclusive 5 days of work experience with the world’s third largest insurance brokers, Willis Towers and Watson, through our links with STEM learning who provide careers support for schools in all things Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths.
Ms Kerridge recruited 25 Year 10s who joined 6 of our Year 12s and 2 Year 13s to take part in a week of virtual online work experience with this global insurance giant, who deal with insurance solutions and advice for organisations worldwide.
For our Year 10s this was their first taste of a demanding work experience brief with a big City employer. They rose to the challenge being super motivated, reliable and punctual for the whole week. STEM learning were very impressed with how they worked together and contributed ideas.
We would also like to thank our sixth form students who took part:
Natan (13 Blake), Irum (13 Liston), Felicia and Rachel (12 Clift), Benita (12 John), Murshida (12 Hooker), Alexandra (12 Larkin) and Rosh (12 Permaul).
They were able to take lead roles in each working group and were an excellent support for our Year 10 students.
The week included talks from directors of the company and workshops with actuaries, risk consultants, insurance analysts, brokers and claims experts learning about topics like risk management analytical tools and forensic accounting! Our students also undertook team tasks and gave presentations on how to manage a big insurance claim.
As well as learning more about how to work effectively in workplace teams and finding out about a wide range of insurance careers – all now have a major employer to add to their CV!
Examples of the feedback received from our students and staff:
“Actually fun, Inspired me, Helped me have a plan for future,
Stem world I am pretty sure is for me”
Olivia Year 10
"I just wanted to say that was a great experience for me, I really enjoyed it and am very happy to have chosen to do it. It was very informative, I recapped things we did in Geography, tropical storms (hurricanes, typhoons and cyclones), it also helped me understand the topic better and learning a few more things. For example when we were making our PowerPoints we had to use google sheets, we used a shortcut to get a few answers which was interesting. Thank you for letting me take part in this experience”
Eryka - Year 10
“Good fun, very co-ordinated, it made me feel smarter, a chance to re-evaluate my options in stem and I was inspired and motivated by the engineering speaker”
Year 10 Student
"The talks were very interesting and I learnt a lot about insurance careers. I also enjoyed supporting the Year 10s in my team tasks and taking part in the team challenge. It was a good week" Natan - Year 13
"I thoroughly enjoyed the work experience every day. It was really interesting to have an insight into all the professions that revolve around the world of insurance. I learnt about what is required to enter this industry and how so many STEM subjects can be explored there. I also really like working with other people, it was fun to work together as a team and talk to other people. I believe it was a great experience which I would recommend to everyone." Felicia - Year 12
“At this time for our students, especially in Year 10, to get such a meaningful and positive experience of the world of work speaks volumes for the excellent design, planning and organising of the programme”
Mr Jarvis - School Careers Adviser
Virtual Work Experience, Mentoring and Careers Insights
Virtual Work Experience, Mentoring and Careers insights secured for students
Autumn Term 2020
Icanyoucantoo Careers Coaching and Mentoring Programme
Started October 20
12 Year 12s started this 8 month bespoke programme linked to St Angela’s and two other schools. This term all attended 4 workshops led by a dedicated team of recruiters and executives from EY (world leading accountancy firm), HSBC Bank and Redington Investment. Our students learn how to prepare for a professional career with coaching on CVs, presentation and interview skills. Next term there will be inputs from CRS Law firm, Simon Merry Architects, Sky Sports and Moo Design plus access to careers events and work experience.
Felicia (12 Clift), Sarah (12 Hawkes) Gabrielle, Aishah, Claire (12 Hector), Davina (12 Hooker), Nicole, Sean (12 John), Stacey (12 Larkin), Rosita, Eniola (12 Perry) and Rosh (12 Permaul).
Bart’s Health NHS Trust | Healthcare Horizons Mentoring Project + Insight Events
September and October starts
14 Year 12s started or will be starting the Healthcare Horizons Mentoring Project via our compact with Bart’s Healthcare Horizons team. With online workshops led by doctors to explore healthcare careers, a healthcare professional as a mentor (mentors linked to our students include a final year medical student and a clinical psychologist) plus support with UCAS applications for their chosen medical profession.
Abel (12 Clift) Teresa (12 Hawkes) Asia, Samantha (12 Hector) Ayhmah (12 Hooker) Nasra, El-Hephzibah, Benita (12 John) Jennifer, Fatima, Denise, Shanay (12 Larkin) Nabeela (12 Permaul) and Suvasthiga (12 Perry)
A further 11 Year 12s have also attended Bart’s Horizons Medical + Dental Insight events:
Medicine and Dentistry Healthcare
27th and 28th October
Felicia (12 Clift) Benita (12 John), Denise (12 Larkin) and Suvasthiga (12 Perry)
Nursing, Midwifery and Allied Health Professions
27th and 28th October
Asia, Samantha, Venessa (12 Hector), Neha (12 John) Sadia (12 Larkin), Nabeela (12 Permaul), Querida (12 Perry)
Facebook Elevate Project | STEM Mentoring with Facebook Executives
October to December
7 Year 12s joined this cutting edge project via our partnership with The Brokerage City Link. Taking part in a series of six events they were linked to Facebook software developers / tech professionals learning about tech careers and employability skills. Our students gave a tech presentation to Facebook executives
Rachel (12 Clift) Arpon, Sarah, Elaira (12Hawks) Meet (12 Larkin) Waleed (12 Perry) and Faizan (12 Permaul)
Nat West Legal First Steps Programme | 1 Week Work experience
14th to 18th September
3 Year 12s were able to undertake a week of virtual interactive work experience with Nat West learning from corporate lawyers and finance professionals at the Bank. Again, organised through The Brokerage.
Angelica (13 Liston), Tanzilah and Hamza (13 Pellegrini)
National Audit Office | 1 Week Work Experience
October Half Term Week
Rabir (13 Pellegrini) successfully applied for this competitive opportunity through The Brokerage City Link completing 5 days work experience with the National Audit Office in accountancy practise.
Dentons and Wilde LLP Law PRIME Work Experience 2020
3 Days, 26th to 29th October
Cynthia (13 Carruthers) was selected for this competitive work placement with a leading law firm via Rare.
Women Into Finance - One Search Careers Mentoring and Scholarship Programme
Started October 2020
7 Year 12s joined One Search a specialist recruitment agency who place graduates with employers such as JP Morgan, Aviva Investors, Allianz Global Investors and Societe Generale Investment Bank, etc. One Search only offer this 5 year Scholarship to six Schools. Starting in Year 12 our students are linked to a finance professional for meetings and start a Financial Services Qualification. The programme continues into their 3 years at university with paid internships with financial institutions and help finding graduate jobs.
Kelly, Zainab (12 Clift), Anjali (12 Hector) Kimberley (12 Hooker), Rabia (12 John), Lamesha and Sefora (12 Larkin).
Young Professionals Work Experience
26th to 28th October
12 Year 12 students and 6 Year 13 students completed the 3 days taking part in workshops, interactive tasks and learning about different industries. Our students also learnt about job interviews, skills employers look for, how to network and created professional linked in accounts. This was with a great range of employers: PwC, IBM, Vodafone, Cap Gemini, BP, Grant Thornton, Browne Jacobsen law firm, The RAF and The Royal Navy. The employers also gave Insights into their apprenticeship schemes and university pathways.
Khankhara, Alesha (12 Clift), Darsheet, Sarah, Arpon (12Hawkes), Davina, (12 Hooker) Raveena (12 John) Lamesha (12 Larkin) Temitope (12 Pellegrini) Alexandra (12 Permaul) Waleed, Uvrajpreet (12 Perry), Olivia (13 Ahmed), Ania (13 Blake), Haajadri (13 Carruthers), Zoe, Angelica (13 Liston) and Adriana (13 Onyemere)
University of The Arts London Insights | UCAS Autumn Schools for Architecture and Fine Art
4 Year 13s attend weekly after school portfolio preparation + UCAS advice sessions for Architecture and Fine Art at the prestigious Art Schools Central St Martins and Chelsea, Camberwell + Wimbledon- via our work with UAL Insights Team.
Kamara, Maryam, Jasmine (13 Jenkins) and Camila (13 Sharif)
Creative Mentor Network | Mentoring with Film Production Company The Mill
September to December
1 Year 13 was selected by CMN to work with a Producer at The Mill - a global film, video and special effects agency who create content for advertising agencies, brands and film production companies. This is a 16 week project with fortnightly online meetings with a professional mentor contributing real work for the employer.
Amira (13 Carruthers)
Credit Suisse Investment Banking in Practice | 2 Day Training Course
26th and 27th October
2 Year 13s were selected to take part in 2 days of training at Credit Suisse Investment Bank offices in Canary Wharf to learn about sales, trading, mergers and acquisitions! They were also able to gain a Level 2 qualification in market analysis and investment banking.
Bronwen (13 Liston) and Tanzilah (13 Pellegrini)
Mr Jarvis –School Careers Adviser
Review date for careers information published on this page is: July 2021